Saturday, July 5, 2008

Bozo’s Question of the Day



Today's Question of the Day comes to us from AFM reader, Bozo:


Given all the pros and cons as of late regarding the stock market, and the classic analysis of John Bogle (formerly of Vanguard) on index investing and “not trying to time the market”, it might be fun to ask:


“Have you tried to catch ups and downs in the stock market? Have you succeeded? If so, any suggestions?”


This might spark a bit of back-patting, for those that have done well. For me, well, I'm down for the year (about 2.5% overall), but only because my CDs are hammering away at 5.75%.


Exclude those who are overweight energy; yes, we know you are up. Your day will come. It all reverts to the mean. Trust me, I held energy stocks when you could not give away Exxon or the drillers as a “gift with purchase”.


Yours,


Bozo


PS: Hope you had a nice vacation.


The only “timing” I do is done when I rebalance my portfolio to get it back in line with its allocation. No, it's not exciting, but I'm not a market timer.


What about you? Are you like me or do you try to time the market?


NOTE: Comments left with hyperlinks to some “trading system” or something silly like that will be deleted so please don't waste your time.


ShareThis



No comments: